EOSInfo is for Windows only. At this time, does not have any plans for creating a Mac version, largely due to time constraints. Mac users (who apparently are overly sensitive) should continue using the 40DShutterCount utility.
- It is packaged with an installer, so installation/removal is straightforward
- It is installed with its own copies of the support .dlls from the Canon SDK, so future updates of the EOSUtility from Canon won't hose EOSInfo - additionally, you don't have to install the EOSUtility in order to use this.
- It provides more information about the camera that might be handy, including firmware version, date/time, and owner/artist/copyright strings.
- It doesn't matter if your camera is on or connected when you fire up the utility - if you turn it on after you start EOSInfo, the utility will recognize the camera.
- It will update the shutter count in real time if you shoot tethered (except for the 5DMkII - it still seems to require a power cycle to update the shutter counter value).
- Editing the owner/artist/copyright strings, including allowing special characters
- One-button syncing of the time with the your PC's clock
- Checking the firmware version against a server to verify that the latest firmware version is installed